Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I am writing this on December 1, 2009. This would have been the 63rd birthday of my sister Maryanne. However, a murderer cut short her life in September.
I have been thinking about her for some time since receiving the news of her death. I decided to write and post this in honor of her life and her memory.
My sister – Maryanne Agnes Humphrey – was a good woman, a loving mother, and a loving grandmother. I am ashamed to say that I did not always get along with her nor treat her with the respect and dignity she deserved. She deserved dignity and respect because she was a good woman who lived a hard life, harming no one and wishing no one any harm. Unfortunately, people did not treat her with the same consideration.
Recently I watched a news report concerning a woman in Arkansas named Ann Pressly. She was an up and coming news personality, brutally murdered when someone broke into her home. Her death and the trial of her murderer received national news coverage. She was twenty-six years old, blonde, and pretty. She was college educated and a rising star, her future probably assured. She seemed to want for nothing – she had looks, brains, an outstanding job, a good home life, supportive family.
My sister was sixty-two years old when some lowlife shot her twice in a convenience store robbery. Maryanne had to work at a convenience store because she did not have a college education. However, she was not dumb – not by a long shot. Maryanne was a straight A student in school but did not have the breaks an Anne Pressly has.
Maryanne grew up living in poverty but it did not beat her down. She tackled life and made the best out of her lot. I remember her as energetic and optimistic, never saying a bad word about anyone or going out of her way to cause harm to anyone. During her funeral, her daughter and granddaughter not only made two poster-boards of her comprised of pictures from her life but also had commissioned a DVD, showing pictures of her. Every picture shows her smiling and happy. I was stunned to see how pretty she was and that she had a beautiful smile. Her face shined showing no traces of bitterness, defeat, or depression that a hard life can do to some.
Why had I not seen this before? Why did I not treat her better? She never did anything to me and yet I did nothing for her. I am ashamed and I am sorry. I realized that we never get the second chance. This is our one shot and to live life without telling your siblings or your parents that you love them is truly heartbreaking. There is no more time for anger and bitterness. There is only time left to leave it behind and embrace what you have with whom you are with.
I believe in God and I believe that Maryanne is with Him. Why? As I said, she was a good woman who never went out of her way to harm others, who never did evil, and tried her best with her abilities to help those around her. I never said I loved her so I say it now. I love my sister Maryanne and I hope and pray that I can say that to her in Heaven.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger